Sunday, 15 May 2016

Temperature Blanket - Update 6

Laughing and crying ... and honesty.

Life Lesson #3981 - With my earlier faux pas with the temperature blanket, I had been working super hard to catch up after ripping the whole thing back. After my last post, a friend asked me to post a picture of the temperature blanket as a whole - which is when my whole project started to unravel. I had assumed (my first mistake) that I was carrying on fine, working super hard, recording the temperature so that I could crochet that row when I eventually got to it. Not really paying attention to counting my stitches as I have always been a fairly accurate crocheter.

When I laid the blanket out to take a picture of the whole thing -- I nearly died. How on earth had I gone so far wrong and for SO LONG! My family couldn't tell if I was laughing or crying but I said the 'F' word a lot. Truthfully, I couldn't tell if I was laughing or crying. It was such an epic mistake. Such a beginner's mistake.

Here's what I mean:



My cheeky daughter offered that it would be perfect for a mermaid. I mean it's beautiful -- I love the colours and the variety of the patterns and stitches -- it's just so far out of alignment. I couldn't believe what I had done. Partly in denial and completely in shock and horror, I folded it up and put it away and went to bed cursing my own stupidity.



It sat in my craft room in a neatly folded mess while I contemplated what to do. I mean I was blogging this project for the world to see -- well the world of 19 viewers but it felt like the whole world was watching -- watching me fail. I thought about deleting all the posts and pretending that the project never existed. I thought about pulling it all out to the point of the mistake and fixing it and never admitting anything had ever gone wrong. And then I thought about the point of this blog -- loving my perfect imperfect life. Recognizing that life isn't perfect, we aren't perfect and how coming to terms with that makes us happier -- so then how could I just ignore this piece of my imperfect world. I loved this project (despite or in spite of its flaws). I preach to my kids that the best thing is just to own our mistakes -- recognize them, do what we can to repair them and move on. Something I need to continuously practice.

As for the temperature blanket - I'm pulling it out to the point of the mistake, repairing it, and moving on with it. It will be awhile before you see me post about it again -- it's going to take a bit to catch up -- but it will get finished.

Ignoring our problems doesn't make them go away (even temperature blankets) and making a mistake doesn't make us a failure -- only human and authentic.




No comments:

Post a Comment